Sunday, March 29, 2009

On sky watch 3.29.09

The drive between my apartment in Maryland and my parents' house in Pennsylvania is one of my Dependable Comforts (except in scary driving weather). Living in the city is all very well when I want to see a musical or go to a museum or take public transportation, but something essential in me that obligingly hides itself out of general notice during my everyday life happily relaxes when I'm on the remoter part of 270 and see my first field. It's like I've been unconsciously holding my breath for a long time (which would make me unconscious) and now I can breathe again. I need fields and trees and starry night skies.

I have my favorite "beauty spots" (I think that phrase is from Anne Shirley, one of the ultimate beauty worshipers): the little pond in the valley that I can see as I come down a mountain, the bright red barn decorated with a hex sign that stands in a bed of little hills, the different bluenesses of the mountains I see just before I get into my parents' town. But sometimes the best bit of the drive is unexpected.

Today I was driving back from my parents' and I came around a curve and there in front of me was a rainbow! I love the unexpectedness of rainbows. Usually you look at the sky and it is a sky with no rainbow. But once in a long while, you look at the sky, and there's a rainbow in it! And you have to look at the rainbow as long as you can because it changes so quickly. The one I saw today was bright, and I could even see the double rainbow for a bit, but then it all faded away. Goodbye, Rainbow. See you next time.

1 comment:

  1. I think there is a serious lack of rainbows here on the east coast, but at least that makes them all the more beautiful when they do show up. Whenever I go to my parents' house, I love looking to the east in the evening after a day's drizzle to admire the rainbow stretching over the valley with snow-capped mountains in the background.

    ReplyDelete