Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Les Miserables - Part X, Marius and Valjean Want to Die

For anyone who saw my odd post last night, I was fixing it when the power, and therefore the internet, went out. Here's what I would have posted:

I really have to go to bed, but to prove that I have been reading (I'm past p. 1200, and I didn't skip ALL of it), here are some brief observations.

Both Marius and Valjean lose Cosette, or think they do, they both therefore want to die, and they both end up at the barricades to do it.

There were a lot of references to French history in this section, which I skimmed because, again, I know nothing about French history, except that French people were involved in it.

Enjolras makes a heartbreaking speech about how glorious the 20th century will be, heartbreaking because he is giving his life to achieve this, and we in the 21st century know that his vision did not come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment