Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Les Miserables - Preface

So my Relief Society book club is doing Les Mis next month. I've attempted to read it twice in the past and only gotten about 1/3 of the way through. (But I love the musical!) To help me get through more this time, and because apparently I'm a slave to trends, I'm going to keep track of my progress and reactions on this blog. These are not going to be good blog entries, because good entries take me hours to write, and if I have free hours, I obviously need to spend them reading. This is a long book!

RS book club always meets the first Thursday of the month. Unfortunately for me, the first Thursday in October is the 1st and not the 7th. That gives me about 29 days to read 1463 pages. According to my calculations, this is about 50 pages a day. Maybe 49 because I fully intend to skip the Waterloo and sewers-of-Paris parts, the two places I got bogged down in the last times. Usually I believe in reading the full unabridged version (I read John Galt's 50-page speech each time I read Atlas Shrugged for goodness' sake!).

I still have to read the book for my other book club which is meeting Sept. 11 or 12, but I think I can get that done if I read it on my morning commute. That leaves lunch, my evening commute and the rest of my free reading time for Les Mis. I can do this, right? : )

*Edit: The edition I'm reading is the Signet Classics paperback, unabridged of course (except by me!)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! I can't remember if I even made it through Waterloo during my one futile attempt to read LM. I have a hazy memory of some line about what the wheel tracks in the mud on a former battleground looked like. Or something like that. I think my response was somthing along the lines of, "Are you kidding me, Monsieur Hugo?" and then I stopped reading.

    I also skip John Galt's 50 page speech every time I read Atlas Shrugged. I'm such a quitter.

    And yet, I don't feel like my life is profoundly lacking as a result . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not. Actually, it's intriguing - there was a bit that I read today that I think is quite the opposite of John Galt's speech. It would be an interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete